[SciPy-User] OSX, Python 3.2.2 and NumPy/SciPy

Sat Mar 24 17:24:04 CDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Chris Share <cpsmusic@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to Python however I have a reasonable amount of programming
> experience (C/C++).
> I'm currently working on OSX (10.6.8) and I've installed Python 3.2.2. OSX
> also comes with Python 2.6.6.
> I'm interested in scientific computing so I'd like to install Numpy/SciPy.
> I've managed to do this for the 2.6.6 version of Python however I'm unclear
> as to how I do this for the 3.2.2 version.
> According to the 3.2.2 installer ReadMe:
> The installer puts applications, an "Update Shell Profile" command,
> and a link to the optionally installed Python Documentation into the
> "Python 3.2" subfolder of the system Applications folder,
> and puts the underlying machinery into the folder
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework. It can
> optionally place links to the command-line tools in /usr/local/bin as
> well. Double-click on the "Update Shell Profile" command to add the
> "bin" directory inside the framework to your shell's search path.
> How do install NumPy/SciPy so that the 3.2.2 version of IDLE can access
> them?

There's no binary installer for Python 3.x on OS X yet, so you have to
compile numpy/scipy. Assuming you have XCode installed and the correct
gfortran compiler (linked at http://scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/Mac_OS_X),
you simply type "python setup.py install" in the base dir of the
numpy/scipy repos. It will first convert the source with 2to3 to python 3.x
format, then compile and install it. You should then be able to import it
in IDLE.