[SciPy-User] ndimage/morphology - binary dilation and erosion?

Luis Pedro Coelho lpc@cmu....
Sun May 6 17:21:12 CDT 2012

On Sunday, May 06, 2012 05:31:29 PM klo uo wrote:
> > There's also a couple of skeletonize functions in scikits-image:
> > skeletonize and medial_axis. But I'm not sure how the performance compares
> > to the other solutions you've found.
>
> Well, it can't be compared :)
> "skimage" skeletonize() executes almost instantly. There must be
> something wrong "pymorph" skelm() other then requirement to convert
> numpy array in boolean dtype ;)

There is nothing wrong, it's just Python instead of compiled code.

I maintain both mahotas and pymorph and, increasingly, there is little point
to using pymorph. Mahotas is starting to do it all and it does it much, much,
faster.

Mahotas has thin() which is a really well-tuned implementation.

> It just showed first in Google, I should have tried harder and check skimage

If you're interested, check out the pythonvision google group for more
computer vision related questions.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pythonvision
--
Luis Pedro Coelho | Institute for Molecular Medicine | http://luispedro.org