[SciPy-User] scipy install: atlas incomplete

Cable, Sam B Civ USAF AFMC AFRL/RVBXI Sam.Cable@kirtland.af....
Fri Jan 18 18:54:49 CST 2013

I am trying to install scipy, and encountering problems.  Comparing my
results to the FAQ page, it looks like my ATLAS is incomplete.  The page

LAPACK library provided by ATLAS is incomplete

You will notice it when getting import errors like

ImportError: .../flapack.so : undefined symbol: sgesdd_

To be sure that NumPy/SciPy is built against a complete LAPACK, check the
size of the file liblapack.a - it should be about 6MB. The location of
liblapack.a is shown by executing

python numpy/distutils/system_info.py lapack

To fix: follow the instructions in
<http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/errata.html#completelp> Building a
complete LAPACK library to create a complete liblapack.a. Then copy
liblapack.a to the same location where libatlas.a is installed and retry
with scipy build.

The actual object I am missing is "sgges_".  I have tried two solutions.

1) I have followed the ATLAS instructions for making a complete build of
LAPACK, rev. 3.4.2.  (BTW, the resulting LAPACK is about 10MB, bigger than
the 6MB in the FAQ.)

2) I have found a pre-compiled binary for LAPACK - rev. unclear -- and just
downloaded it and dropped it in place.  (It is close to the 6MB in size.)

I get the same problem regardless.

"nm" shows sgges_ defined in liblapack.a plain as day.

System_info.py finds my lapack just fine in /usr/local/lib.

Is this a critical failure?  Is there anything else to do?

BTW, I am running python 2.7 on a 64 bit CentOs 5.x machine and gfortran is
my FORTRAN compiler.