[SciPy-User] assignment optimization problem

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Mar 31 07:51:11 CDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 31, 2013 at 12:59 PM, Neal Becker <ndbecker2@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there python tools for addressing problems like assignment?  At this point,
> I don't fully understand my problem, but I believe it is a mixture of discrete
> assignment together with some continuous variables.  My son suggests coding it
> by hand using some kind of simple hill climbing, but maybe I could leverage
> existing code for this?

There are some tools for simple linear assignment.

None of them will help if you need to do continuous optimization as
well. You may be able to get a satisficing answer by alternating
linear assignment and continuous optimization, but I'm pretty sure
there are no algorithmic guarantees with that approach.

You may be able to cast your problem as a mixed integer programming
problem. Check out the tools provided by Coopr and COIN-OR:

Robert Kern